Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy St. David's Day!

St. David is the patron saint of Wales and St. David’s Day is like the national day of Welshness. Sort of like St. Patrick’s Day for Ireland, but without the green beer. And I know the green beer is why most people actually celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but St. David’s Day is still cool! There was a parade with bagpipes and flags (the dragon is the Welsh flag and the yellow cross is St. David's flag, the Gryffindor-looking one is Owain Glyndwr's but I'd have to do a whole spiel on Welsh history in the early 15th century to feel like I'd properly explained that)

and a miniature pony.

People pinned on daffodils and leeks which are both symbols of Wales. Here you can see a kid with a blow-up leek! How awesome is that?

We sort of accidentally became part of the parade at the end because we were following it down to the Bay, but we bought Welsh flags so we were camouflaged.

So we ended up back down at the Bay and we bought some daffodils- honestly, this country was practically made for me what with the dragons and leeks and daffodils, which are all things I love- and we bought some fancy, fresh Welsh cakes, which I also love. I’m going to do a whole post about food at some point because some stuff is weird, but most stuff here is amazing and I don’t know how I’ll live without it once I’m back in the States.

We walked around the Bay area some more. I didn’t realize Roald Dahl was from Cardiff. He’s awesome. They named part of the Bay after him. And we took a boat round the actual Bay, then headed back for the train station.

Cardiff also had the Millennium Stadium, which is where they have all the major sport events. I didn’t get any pictures of that, because we’re going back for a football match (Wales v. Finland) at the end of the month and I’ll actually be able to get in the stadium which will be much better than the outside. We tried to get tickets for a rugby match, but they are 200+ pounds! People here are crazy about rugby. I’ll have to write something about that later too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    Are you going back to Cardiff for a football game?? or does football = soccer? Mom

    ReplyDelete